What Is Invisalign® and How Does It Work?
What Is Invisalign?
It is a teeth aligner in orthodontic dentistry that helps move teeth to straighten them and align jaws. They feature a transparent material fashioned after teeth impressions into a wearable tray. The tray is usually removable, so you can choose when to remove them.
How Does Invisalign Work?
Invisalign in Mississauga works by applying controlled pressure on your teeth over time. The clear tray usually fits snugly to apply the necessary pressure. However, the tray will fit better after a few weeks. You must visit your dentist in Mississauga to replace the initial tray.
A unique feature of Invisalign aligners is that it is removable. Therefore, patients can spend a while without their teeth aligners during the day. However, for Invisalign to work effectively, they must exert pressure consistently over a predetermined period. Dentists recommend wearing clear aligners for 20 – 22 hours daily. Therefore, even though you can remove your teeth aligners, you have restrictions on how long you can stay without them. Neglecting the restrictions will slow down your treatment, taking longer to achieve the desired results.
How Long Does Invisalign Last?
You will have to wear your invisible aligners for 6 – 18 months. The longevity of your treatment depends on various factors like:
- The complexity of your orthodontic problems
- Consistency of wearing your aligners during treatment
- Your compliance with wearing retainers after treatment
The good news is that your results after Invisalign treatment by Dr. Ilana Wurman can last a lifetime without needing to wear braces again.
What Are the Advantages of Invisalign?
There is a reason more adults are opting for Invisalign near you than other oral devices for moving teeth in orthodontics. Some of the reasons why Invisalign has increased in popularity are:
- Their aesthetic value – clear braces are virtually invisible when you wear them. Therefore, you can keep undergoing orthodontic treatment without being overly concerned about the appearance of your teeth when you smile.
- Restoring teeth and jaw function – Invisalign braces are just as effective as metal braces for improving oral functionality. The aligners move your teeth and realign your jaw to better your chewing and speech.
- They are comfortable – clear braces are more comfortable to wear than traditional metal braces. Instead of metal wires and brackets, Invisalign features a plastic-like material that is smooth and gentle to your mouth.
- They are easy to maintain – Invisalign near you allows you to maintain good oral hygiene because of their removability. You have no excuse for plaque and tartar buildup in your teeth surfaces when you begin your orthodontic treatment.
- You can eat whatever you want – there is much more freedom in food choices when you have Invisalign than metal braces. The condition is to remove your teeth aligners when you eat and brush your teeth before you wear them.
Should You Get Invisalign?
Many patients in orthodontic dentistry opt for Invisalign because of its many benefits. However, only decide with ample information about the treatment. Visit a dentist in Mississauga for a comprehensive dental exam to determine the best course of action for your treatment. Besides, sometimes dentists must recommend other treatment protocols before starting orthodontics treatment. For instance, you may need a tooth extraction before receiving clear teeth aligners.
Another caveat to the success of orthodontic treatments with Invisalign regards the complexity of the underlying problems. Ideally, orthodontists employ metal braces to handle difficult malocclusion cases. Usually, Invisalign is ideal for correcting mild and moderate issues. In that accord, you can be an unfit candidate for Invisalign braces. Sometimes orthodontists recommend beginning the treatment with metal braces for a few months, then changing to clear aligners to complete the final phase of your orthodontic treatment.
What Happens After Wearing Invisalign Aligners?
After several months of treatment, your teeth will be straight in your mouth. You will significantly improve your jaw alignment and comfort levels when you use your mouth. However, to make the results last, you need retainers. They hold your teeth in place to prevent them from shifting back to their initial position. Usually, you can wear retainers for several years or keep them for a lifetime.