Root canal treatment: Everything you need to know
Root canal is one of the dental procedures which scare people. Apart from pain, people are concerned about the cost of the procedure. But not many people know what a root canal procedure is. Let’s explore more about root canal treatment.
Fast Facts About Root Canal Therapy
- Root canal therapy is used for removing nerves from the pulp of the tooth.
- It’s thought to be very painful, but in fact it helps in getting rid of the pain.
- The procedure is also known as endodontic therapy.
What Is Root Canal Treatment?
The root canal is the hollow section of the tooth containing nerve tissue, blood vessels, and pulp. A tooth consists of crown, which is above the gum line and the roots that are below the gum line. The roots attach the tooth to the jawbone. Inside the crown and roots, there is pulp, which nourishes the tooth.
What Are the Steps?
1. Cleaning the root canal
The dentist in Mississauga first drills a hole in the tooth and removes infected pulp inside the root canal.
2. Filling the root Canal
The dentist then cleans, shapes, and sanitizes the hollow area by using tiny files. The tooth is then filled with rubber-like material using an adhesive cement to seal the canals.
3. Adding a crown or filling
How Painful is it?
Since the procedure is performed under anesthetic, it’s not painful. You may feel some discomfort after the procedure, but it can be managed with a pain killer.
- Sometimes, the dentist finds only 3 root canals in a tooth that has four. The untreated canal can again spread the infection.
- The filling material should seal the canal properly, otherwise infection could return.
- Brushing teeth twice a day and flossing at least once.
- Using right kind of brush and replacing it every 3-4 months.
- Going for regular dental checkups.
- Avoiding excessive sugary drinks and foods.