What to do During a Dental Emergency
Emergencies can strike anytime anywhere to anyone. Dental emergencies are also no different. You have to seek professional help immediately but till you reach an ER or dentist’s clinic you can do certain measures to control the situation.
Types of Dental Emergencies:
- Broken tooth
- Bleeding gums
- Severe tooth aches
- Knocked out tooth
- Lost crown
- Lost implant
- Injured jaw
What Should You do
- Contact Family dentist: Call our team right away and inform about the dental emergency. If the accident occurs when your dental office is not open, visit your local emergency room.
- Stop The Bleeding: If your emergency is bleeding gums then rinse your mouth with Luke warm water to keep the area clean and stop the bleeding. You can also place ice pack to the impacted tooth. Use a moistened piece of gauze or tea bag to apply pressure to the bleeding area.
- Retrieve Any Knocked Out Teeth or Restorations: If you have any knocked out tooth or dental crowns or implants then try to retrieve the tooth or restoration. Save the tooth by rinsing it with clean water and keep in a container of milk. Never force the tooth to its socket as it can cause any further injury.
- Take Pain Relievers & Use Ice Packs: Take over the counter pain killers to temporarily relieve the pain till you reach the hospital. Use ice packs or frozen items to keep the pain at bay.
- Meet the Dr. Jeff Levman Team: Your Mississauga dentist and his team of qualified professionals are well equipped to deal with any kind of dental emergencies. Taking your utmost care and keeping you comfortable is what we do. We provide service when you need it the most.
Preventing Dental Emergencies:
- Wear a mouth guard when participating in sports or recreational activities.
- Avoid chewing ice, popcorn kernels and hard candy, all of which can crack a tooth.
- Use scissors, NEVER your teeth, to cut things.
- Brush and floss daily. Developing a strong oral hygiene routine will help keep your mouth healthy and your teeth strong.
- Do regular dental checkups