Everything You Need to Know Dental Veneers
Dental veneers have become very common in recent years. A lot of people prefer them to other options for orthodontic treatments. This article will discuss everything you need to know about veneers.
Defining Dental Veneers
Dental veneers are shells mostly made of porcelain used to improve the appearance of teeth. Some veneers are made of resin. Veneers are bonded with dental cement, and they are usually the same color as one’s teeth. There are two types of veneers. Composite and porcelain veneers.
Purpose of Dental Veneers
Veneers can be used to fix several problems. Some of the most common ones include:
- Improve the appearance of discolored teeth
- Fix worn down teeth
- Fix broken as well as chipped teeth
- Close in wide gaps between a person’s teeth
- Can help straighten misaligned teeth or irregularly shaped teeth
Pros of Dental Veneers
- Porcelain veneers look so natural that no one can ever know you are using veneers
- Porcelain rarely affect the gum tissues of the user
- Veneers made of porcelain are resistant to stains
- Veneers don’t require some special kind of care
- The procedure of placing veneers is less complicated compared to other orthodontic treatments
- Once it is done, it is done. The procedure cannot be reversed.
- They are a bit more expensive compared to composite fillings
- They are rarely repaired. Once cracked or chipped a new veneer is usually required
- Veneers can make your teeth a bit more sensitive
- If the dentist gets the color of your teeth wrong, it cannot be altered. You will have to live with it like that
How Long Do Veneers Last?
How long your veneers will last usually depend on two things, the material they are made from and how well you take care of them. Generally, they last for around ten years. If you take good care of porcelain veneers, they can last for up to 15 years.
How Much Do Dental Veneers Cost?
Just like the durability varies, the coast varies as well. One of the major factors that affect the cost of veneers is location. The costs of veneers in Mississauga is not the same as the cost in Ottawa. The extent of the procedure also affects the price.
For a rule thumb, it should not be more $2200. The cost is usually between $1000 and $2200. Some insurance providers cover veneers whiles others don’t. Be sure to check with your provider to see if you will pay out-of-pocket or they will cover.
Are There Any Alternatives?
In case you feel like veneers are expensive, or you don’t like them, there is always an alternative. The most common ones are dental crowns and bondings. Veneers are more of an intermediary between a crown and bonding. They are mostly used to fix problems that require more than bonding but not enough to need a crown.
Taking Care of Veneers
If you want your veneers to last for a long time, you need to take proper care of them. Luckily, there is nothing complicated about taking care of dental veneers.
During the first few days, your gums will be sore. That’s nothing to worry about, though, they will be back to normal in three to five days. After everything has gotten back to normal, you can carry on with your regular oral care.
Brush your teeth at least twice a day. Floss them as well. Don’t be too aggressive as you brush your teeth, or you may end up hurting your gums. The following tips can help you take even better care of your veneers
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and ensure to change it after every two to three months
- Use a mouthwash to floss
- Make it a habit to visit your dentist after every six months or less
- Be extra-vigilant with your cleaning if you are a heavy user of coffee, soda, and other staining drinks
- Avoid smoking or quit if possible
Dr. Jeff Levman
If you are looking for a place to get Instant veneers in Mississauga, you are in the right place. We provide quality dental services, and you can count on us if you are need of removable veneers. For over 30 years, Mississauga dentists in our clinic have been operational. We accept most insurance options, so paying for your treatment so should not trouble you.